At-Home IPL vs. Professional IPL: Which One Fits You?
| Fairy Beauty Supply
When it comes to IPL hair removal, should you go to a professional salon or do it yourself at home? Before you take several hundred dollars out of your pocket, keep on reading this article.
IPL stands for intense pulsed light. The IPL device emits light of a wide range of wavelengths. The light energy penetrates into dermis and is absorbed by melanin in hair follicle. It delivers the energy to hair root, raises the temperature of melanin, heat follicles and cause them enough damage to slow down hair growth.
The main difference between professional IPL and at-home IPL is professional IPL is performed by someone fully trained, so for safety purpose, IPL home devices cannot generate the light energy as powerful as salon devices do. In addition, professional IPL is personalized, when your technician sets up the machine, your skin type, skin color, hair color and body chemistry are all taken into consideration. Based on that, a professional IPL hair removal treatment:
• Is quicker than at-home IPL. Each session takes shorter time.
• Achieves more effective result than at-home IPL. Professional treatments give you longer-lasting, higher hair reduction from a single treatment course than at-home IPL.
• Needs fewer sessions than at-home IPL. A full professional IPL treatment program takes 6-10 sessions. While at-home IPL takes at least 3 sessions to start seeing result, 8-12 weeks to complete a full treatment program.
While at-home IPL treatment:
• Costs substantially lower than professional IPL. An at-home IPL device costs from $50 - $500. One device can be used for many years. Professional IPL costs from $150 - $800 per session depending on the size of the area being treated. It takes at least 6 sessions to complete a full treatment course.
• Is much more convenient than professional IPL. With at-home IPL device, you can do the hair removal treatment by yourself all from the comfort of your own home anytime. You might feel embarrassed when you go to a salon and let someone else do the hair removal for you. But you will absolutely not have the same feeling if you do it at home.
Taken these factors into consideration, if you want to achieve the most effective result in a shorter time, money and convenience are not your top concerns, go for professional IPL. If you want to save some money or you just enjoy doing the hair removal treatment from your home, choose at-home IPL device.