IPL: Pre & Post Care Guide
| Fairy Beauty Supply
It’s so good to be hair free. You may just decide IPL is the right hair removal method for you. Now what should you do before and after each treatment? The pre & post-care are not only important for achieving the best result, but also for your safety. Here we have the checklist for you.
IPL pre-care instructions
• Avoid direct sun exposure or any types of tan four weeks prior to / or between each treatment. Protect your skin from sun exposure with clothing or sunscreen of SPF 30+ or higher.
• Do not remove your hair with waxing, plucking, tweezing, depilatory or threading one month before or between each IPL treatment. Shaving should be the only hair removal method.
• Avoid any irritants to your skin, such as products containing hydroquinone, Retin-A, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, bleaching creams, astringents, or chemical peels for at least two weeks prior to each treatment.
• Shave the area to be treated before each session.
• Avoid anything that moistures your skin, such as sweat and body cream. It will make IPL treatment uncomfortable. IPL also works best when your skin is cool. So don’t pick a time when you just come out of a shower or just finish doing exercise, because your body temperature will arise.
• Avoid swimming in strong chlorinated water immediately before each session.
IPL post-care instructions
• Apply sunscreen to the treated area after each treatment. This is extremely important because overexposure to sunlight may cause pigmentation. Better yet, cover it up with clothes.
• Avoid any types of tan at least 2 weeks after each session.
• After each treatment, redness and bumps are normal. They usually disappear in several hours to 2 days. You may use a cold compress or aloe vera gel on the treated area to cool it off.
• Makeup can be used after each session as long as there is no redness, blistering or scabbing. Apply moisturizer on under your makeup first.
• Do not remove your hair with waxing, plucking, tweezing, depilatory or threading after each session during the full course of the IPL treatment. It will make the treatment ineffective. Shaving should be the only hair removal method.
• Your skin becomes more sensitive than usual after each IPL session. Due to that, we highly recommend you avoiding perfumes, deodorants and exfoliating for 24 hours.
• Exfoliate the treated areas a few days after each treatment. This will prevent any regrowth becoming ingrown. But don’t exfoliate immediately after you finish one session.
• Do not wear tight clothes on the treated area after each treatment because it might cause skin irritation as the skin cannot cool properly.
• For two days, avoid anything that can raise your body temperature, such as exercise, hot showers, saunas, and hot tubs.
• Do not shave after each session for 2-3 days. It will help reduce any possibility of infection in the damaged follicle.
• Always seek professional medical help immediately if any unusual symptoms occur.